Much is said about the society that protects animals nowadays, in which the concern with the mistreatment suffered by pets is more and more constant. Seeking to pass specific legislation and make the general population aware of the responsible ownership of animals, these entities form an increasing set of protectors for dogs and cats - among other animals - showing that all forms of life deserve respect, attention and the right well-being.
Encouraging denouncements against mistreatment and the adoption of abandoned pets, the animal protection society has varied representatives, including from old and specifically created associations to protect and promote animal welfare to NGOs and people who actively fight for the rights of animals - helping both in the dissemination of valuable information about the care of specimens of different species and in the elaboration of special projects dedicated to a world less unfair to the lives of animals.
Each Brazilian state - as well as most municipalities - has a specific entity for the protection of animals, receiving complaints and promoting campaigns that help animals to live with more health and dignity, including joint efforts for adoption, vaccination and petitions for the approval of laws that help guarantee the rights of animals.
Although the 1970s was one of the most important in the sense of popularizing the protection of animal rights, this subject has been a global issue for a long time, and one of the most well-known associations in this segment (UIPA - International Union for the Protection of Animals) was founded in 1895 - showing that the concern of animal defenders is already present among human beings. humans for more than a century.
Below, find out about some of the most popular entities in the animal protection society, and learn how the performance of such groups influences the well-being of animals of the most varied species worldwide.
Read More: Bill that prohibits animal testing is approved by the Chamber
Performance of the animal protection society
One of the main points of attention of the animal protection society it is to guarantee the creation of specific laws against mistreatment (among other actions that harm animals) and the fulfillment of laws that already exist in the animal world. Even with the accelerated growth of the group of people fighting for the rights of animals over the past decades, there are still very few specific laws for dealing with animals, with even fewer people being punished for aggression or other types of negligence. - like abandoning pets.
Increasing the population's knowledge of responsible ownership, entities aimed at protecting animals also work hard on educational campaigns that disseminate valuable information to those who have or wish to have a pet at home - influencing potential owners to consider all aspects involved in the purchase or adoption of animals, so that the level of abandonment and lack of attention to animals is increasingly lower.
The registration of animals by means of chips, environmental education, vaccinations, sterilizations and programmed castrations of animals - in addition to the preservation of wild animals - are also part of the main objectives of the many entities that operate in the protection of animals, as well as the defense of animals exploited by the pharmaceutical, food, cosmetic and entertainment industries.
By encouraging the adoption of pets instead of buying, these associations aim to reduce the number of animals abandoned on the streets and, consequently, the level of spread of zoos and other diseases common to animals - in addition to defending the existence of greater population control in relation to to animals, preventing this type of problem from spreading further throughout the country.
Although not all entities involved in the protection of animals they have rescue services and care for abandoned or sick animals, most of them also act with actions of this type, and they even promote campaigns to adopt these animals - rescued and properly cared for so that they have the possibility of finding a new home and living with health and love.
Responsible ownership of animals
Main point of attention in 100% of animal protection entities, responsible ownership highlights a number of factors that must be taken into account before a person buys or adopts a pet for their home. With this information in mind, the decision of a possible pet owner is made easier; therefore, the life of an animal is only healthy and complete when these specific actions and cares are carried out, and this should be the first factor to consider when adding a four-legged member to the family.
With that in mind, ARCA Brasil - Humanitarian Association for Animal Protection and Welfare has drawn up a list of the ten commandments of the responsible possession, widespread among pet lovers and that must be properly followed so that mistreatment and, especially, the abandonment of animals is mitigated. Check, below, the items that make up this list, and analyze it carefully before thinking about taking a pet home:
- A dog lives about 12 years, and this must be taken into account before adding a pet to the family. Find out if everyone in the household agrees with the adoption of a pet and what kind of action will be taken on occasions when you are unable to care for the pet, such as travel and vacation periods.
- Adopt a pet from a shelter - properly vaccinated and neutered - instead of buying an animal on impulse.
- Find out about the main characteristics and needs of the chosen breed before taking the animal home.
- Do not let your pet loose on the streets. Tours are essential to maintain the animal health, but must be done under the control of the owners.
- Take care of your pet's health. Balanced diet, physical activity, vaccination, adequate shelter and visits to the vet should be constant concerns.
- The side psychological it must also be taken into account, so give it a lot of affection and attention.
- Educate your pet - using dressage techniques, if necessary - to avoid problems, but always respect your breed's natural characteristics.
- Always collect the needs of the pet, and throw them in proper places for that.
- Identify your pet with the help of signs affixed to the collar or by means of microchips. Register the animal at a Zoonoze Control Center and find out about the specific animal laws of the place.
- Avoid unwanted breeding of your pets through castration. This measure is definitive and has no contraindications.
Animal protection entities
As previously stated, each state and municipality has specific local entities for the protection of animals, and some NGOs and associations stand out in this work aimed at the health, protection and welfare of animals. Find out below some of the most important and well-known names of the animal protection society.
- CRMV - Regional Council of Veterinary Medicine
Founded in 1968, the Regional Council of Veterinary Medicine is the body responsible for supervising the work of veterinarians and zootechnicians, protecting the name of the professions, representing them to the authorities and punishing offenders when necessary.
- UIPA - International Union for the Protection of Animals
Founded on May 30, 1895, the International Union for the Protection of Animals is the oldest institution in its category, fighting against abuse and mistreatment of animals of all kinds in the pursuit of their well-being and their physical and emotional integrity.
- ARCA Brasil - Humanitarian Association for Animal Protection and Welfare
Active for over twenty years, the Humanitarian Association for Animal Protection and Welfare is an independent, non-profit NGO that fights for the respect of animal rights in Brazil.
Regarded as a national model, the association is recognized by PAHO - Pan American Health Organization for its program called “Ethical Control of the Populations of Dogs and Cats”, and constantly presents new programs and campaigns that defend the welfare of animals.
- APAA - Paulista Association of Aid to Animals
Founded in 1995 by a group of animal lovers, the São Paulo Association of Animal Aid works with the help of volunteers and partnerships signed with other NGOs. Since 2001, it has performed sterilization procedures and surgeries on animals from underprivileged communities, reaching up to 450 procedures per month.
The association also has awareness projects in schools in the communities and actions focused on the donation of pets collected by the cart - which have already achieved very positive results in relation to the drop in the level of mortality of animals by sacrifice.
The laws in Brazil
Like other UN member countries, Brazil signed a Universal Declaration of Animal Rights in 1978. In summary, this declaration states that:
- Animals have the right to life and respect, as man is conscious, he must put this capacity at the service of animals;
- They must not be mistreated, but if their death is necessary, it must occur quickly and painlessly;
- An animal must not be deprived of its natural environment and freedom;
- When adopted by a human, he is entitled to his natural longevity, being the abandonment of the animal a degrading and cruel act;
- Animals used for work must have adequate food, rest and limit of intensity and working time;
- Experiences that cause physical suffering in animals, regardless of character, as well as exhibitions or use for human amusement are incompatible with animal rights;
- Animals that served as food should be treated well, avoiding suffering and anxiety;
- Animal protection associations they must work with the government to create and enforce laws;
- Killing wild animals in large numbers is genocide.
Despite all these rights and decades of signing the declaration, our country is well behind when it comes to laws that protect animals and it is not uncommon to live with abandonment, mistreatment and other acts against animals, which can even cause revolt in many people, but most of the time they pass without any punishment.
In our Federal Constitution there are laws that protect animals, just as we have an Environmental Crimes Law, despite that, they are in the background and are constantly ignored by those who apply the law. In the Chamber of Deputies there are several laws that seek the rights of animals in process, however, like many others, they have been in this situation for years.
Recently, the Governor of the State of São Paulo, Geraldo Alckimin, enacted a bill that prohibits the use of animals for testing in the perfume, cosmetics and personal hygiene industry. After this decision, São Paulo became the first Brazilian state to prohibit the use of animals in the production of aesthetic products.
In addition, the City of São Paulo was the first to have a public hospital for animals, and should open its second soon.
Do your part
Remember that NGOs and Animal protection societies who care for animals have several expenses and care for several animals at the same time, so all help is welcome. Many people like animals, but are aware that they cannot care for one for several reasons - by the way, before having a pet remember to study if you can really care for one - however they would like to help pets in some way .
Several institutions accept donations of various types: it can be your time, doing volunteer work, medicines, food, cleaning products, among others. NGOs that take care of animals accept that a person helps a specific animal, serving as his "godfather" or "godmother".
If you are interested in contributing, search the internet about the various NGOs and Societies and choose the one of your interest to help in any way possible. And know that not every volunteer necessarily needs to take care of animals, the person can also contribute by promoting and participating in campaigns in favor of animals.
Your part can also be done when you help an abandoned pet. It is not always possible to adopt an animal permanently - sometimes due to lack of space or because it already has a pet that would end up attacking the new one - but it is possible to help:
- You can serve as a temporary home for the animal, even if it is not going to stay in your house definitely it is better that it is there than on the street;
- You can afford to pay a visit to the veterinarian for the treatment of a more serious and specific condition;
- Many NGOs and societies work above their capacity and they cannot collect all the abandoned animals, but they help to publicize the pet that you “adopted” provisionally and with free castration, for example;
- Whenever you collect an animal from the street, the ideal is that it be taken to the vet first, so the professional can tell you what his health conditions are.
Learn more about the work of one of the companies:
- Dog Trivia, Dog Health, Cat Trivia, Cat Health
- animals, dogs, dogs, dog, felines, cats, pets, protection, protective, society
- PreviousSpecial Friendship - Know the case of friendship between a dog and a boy
- Next10 Favorite small dogs in Brazil