Sit, lie down, give the paw and pretend to be dead. These are the most remembered tricks when it comes to dressage. These are activities performed in repetition with the dog, in order to condition it to obey commands and have respect for its owner.
Dogs only have two types of relationship with humans, dominant and dominated, so from the beginning you must show who's in charge of your dog, the beginning of the dog training, happens with negative stimuli in case of wrong and positive attitudes when they do what the owner wants, learning what is not essential for a good future training.
More than exercises to teach nice tricks to do with the dog, the dressage is mainly aimed at dog education. In the same way that children need to learn to respect and obey their parents, dogs must also go through this learning process. The basic dressage tricks serve only to exercise the dog's obedience.
How and when to start training
It is ideal that the dressage start with the dog still puppy, because it is the phase of building the animal's habits, so that any wrong behavior that the dog may have is already corrected before he enters the adult phase.
Read More: Nicknames for pets: a list to help you choose
Contrary to what many people think, the presence of a professional trainer is not strictly necessary. Of course, with the guidance of a person who works with it, dog training will become much easier for the owner, but it is still possible to perform the techniques at home.
The first thing to be learned is the meaning of "no", "very well" and "here", the dog needs to know what it can do, what it cannot and where it should stay.
Interesting dressage tactics they are the reward with snacks, for when the dog does what it was told, and the "no" along with holding the skin tightly on the back of the dog's neck when it is necessary to scold. Repetition is the key to training.
It is important to remember that training cannot include: hitting the dog; arrest you most of the time; leave him alone and away from contact with everyone in the house; to provoke the dog or to scream and to be exalted with him. The dog needs to have contact with all the residents of the house, to always recognize and respect them.
Meet six dressage tips
- Doing tricks: hold a snack in front of the dog's muzzle. For him to sit, raise your hand until he gets tired of trying to get the food and sit down. For him to lie down, go lowering his hand until he is lying down. Only give the snack if he hits the command.
- To bark less: excessive barking is a sign of agitation. Create activities that consume the dog's energy, such as walks or a plastic bottle filled with snacks and with holes that he uses to fish the food. Remembering that whenever he barks, do negative stimuli so that you know what you don't want him to do.
- How not to jump on people: when the dog jumps, step on a leash or spray water towards his face (not inside the muzzle), the discomfort will make him stop.
- In order not to steal food from the table: wrap one end of nylon thread in a plate on the table and tie the other in a tin full of coins on the floor. When the dog attacks the food, the noise of the can will startle him and this will prevent further attacks.
- In order not to eat poop: the first step is to take the dog to the vet, as he may be sick. If the case is only behavioral, it will be necessary to be conditioned.
- To stop “pinching” people: this is one of the most unpleasant - and embarrassing - behaviors that dogs can have, and the solution for them is scolding. It cannot be the person being pulled over, as the dog can become aggressive. If someone else reproaches him, he will understand that he did something wrong.
In addition to all this, it is important that the owner is firm in decisions, always complying with the rules that are imposed on the dog. House plans should always take the puppy into consideration. In the case of travel, it is essential to think about what to do with the dog in the period when no one is at home, be it booking a hotel for dogs or asking someone you trust to take care of the animal.
Training is important for your dog's training and, once again, it is necessary that all the members of the house participate in the training to be all right!
Clicker: an efficient accessory
Nowadays, it is even difficult to talk about training without mentioning one of the most used accessories in this type of teaching: the clicker. Used to teach commands, tricks, rules of obedience and even in the training of dogs that practice agility or dance sports, the clicker has proven to be a great tool to help in the training processes.
It is worth remembering that no type of accessory is able to replace the caresses that a dog owner can give him as a reward; however, the clicker has been increasingly used by owners who want to teach their dogs something - and also by handlers themselves, who already know how efficient this instrument can be.
Emitting a small “click” when triggered, the clicker its main function is to alert the learning dog about its achievements and correct answers. When teaching a dog to sit, for example, the accessory is activated at the precise moment when the dog successfully performs the action - indicating that he has correctly obeyed what was asked of him.
Although it is an extremely powerful tool for training dogs, the clicker can also be used in the wrong way by many with ease, disrupting the learning process and understanding of the animal. If the holder of the instrument is urging the dog to sit and, instead of triggering it at the exact moment the dog sits, make the noise when he has already sat down and starts to stand up, the animal can understand that the action of standing up is the required layer.
Therefore, it is important to remember that the click issue must be done precisely so that the training work efficiently - and can be used for a range of other types of training, such as those involving dogs that participate in competitions or sports that involve specific dance choreographies and overcoming obstacles.
In reality, the sound emitted by the device works, in the training process, as another positive point for the dog and a promise of reward, replacing the so used and famous snacks. With that in mind, it is easy to deduce that in order for a dog to identify that specific noise as such, it must be conditioned to that - and this is a task that must be performed by the pet's owner (or his trainer) before training. is started.
Although it is something that requires preparation, the association of the sound of the cliker with rewards it is not a difficult task to accomplish, as shown below:
- Draw the animal's attention and show him that he will receive some kind of reward (such as snacks or caresses)
- Activate the clicker noise and then give the dog the promised reward
- Repeat this process several times, until the animal understands that the “click” noise it hears is positive
From this, the animal can already understand that the search for that sound is a kind of challenge that yields a series of rewards - facilitating the learning process in dressings that have the accessory as a help tool.
In any type of training involving animals, it is essential to remember that no type of violence or aggression should be used as a method; since this, in addition to harming the pet, can also make it become extremely aggressive and even traumatized. This is one of the main bases of the smart dressage of dogs: technique that is, every day, more respected and adopted by the owners of messy dogs.
By using positive rewards and reinforcement to help the dogs' learning and understanding process, intelligent training can also significantly influence animal owners - teaching them to deal with animals in a peaceful, calm and clear manner (factors that have an extremely positive influence on the learning of the pet).
Can be applied to dogs of all types of breed and age, the intelligent method of training is able to teach commands even to elderly dogs - which, in most cases, are more resistant to obeying specific commands - although any type of training obtains faster and more visible results when dogs start it at the stage when they are puppies .
- Dog Behavior, Stages of Dog Life
- dressage, train, dog, puppies, dogs, dog, house, tips, important, obey, pet, pets, practice, fast, techniques, training
- Previous Canine Otitis - Symptoms and treatment of this common disease in dogs
- NextGastric Twist - How to prevent your pet