When purchasing a new plant for the garden or home, it is not always clear whether it is a non-toxic plant type. The degree of toxicity varies greatly between plants. If the cat only gets sick when eating a plant, other toxins or poison in large quantities can be a serious threat to the life and limb of the velvet paw - especially if the poisoning is not recognized and treated as such.
Plant poisoning in cats
Cats do not tolerate some substances that humans can easily handle. Therefore, especially in a household with pets, you have to be careful that they have no access to poisonous plants. How the cat ingested the substance is also decisive for the degree of poisoning. Did you eat the plant, lick it or absorb a substance through the skin?
Cats by Nature: cats on a discovery tour
Tea tree oil is another toxic plant substance that can cause poisoning symptoms in cats. Cats also like to drink stale flower water. There may be toxic substances in the rotting flowers - so never let your cat drink from it. You should also not use any leaf gloss or pesticide spray on your plants or flowers. This can also lead to poisoning in your darling.
If suspected: consult a veterinarian
Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting and diarrhea, increased salivation, tremors, restlessness, tumbling, paralysis, particularly narrow or wide pupils or severe excitement. If you suspect poisoning with your loved one, go to a veterinarian immediately.