If you’ve ever spent time online you know that most people just can’t get enough of those bizarre cat quirks. Some feline habits are adorable and endearing, while others are confusing and even dangerous. If you’ve ever wondered about certain, strange cat behaviors, you’ve come to the right place to learn.
Why Cats Chew Electrical Cords
Why Cats Chew Plastic Bags
Why Cats Run From the Litter Box
11 Strange Cat Behaviors Finally Explained
Everybody knows that cats are utterly adorable. But how to understand your cat better? Dogs wag their tails, run up to you for a hug, and bark boisterously. Cats are more restrained and express their feelings differently. More often than not, their owners can only guess what their furry companions are feeling. Do you know, for example, why your cat always sits on your clothes? Or why cats are always getting into small spaces? We at Bright Side decided it was time to decode all those hidden signals cats give out.
Pawing at water 1:26
Getting into small spaces 2:05
Putting its paws in your face 2:56
Ignoring you 4:33
Chewing plants 4:59
Lying in the litter box 5:42
Begging for food and then ignoring it 6:19
Following you to the bathroom 7:15
Sitting on your clothes 8:03
#catbehaviour #cats #kitties
- If your cat always bites its nails when grooming itself, you probably have nothing to worry about, since this is basically the feline version of a manicure!
- To their kitty logic, if the water in the bowl moves, then it's probably alright. That's why cats are so captivated by tap and toilet water.
- Most cats prefer to sleep in small cozy spaces where it's difficult to get to them. Things like boxes or sinks make them feel safe and secure.
- If your cat touches your face slightly, it’s simply showing love. Tapping their paws on your face means “Hey I did something, you better clean it up” or “Get up and feed me, please!”
- Even the sweetest little kitten in the world can hiss from time to time, and it’s a clear sign that they’re either frightened or ticked off.
- If your cat ignores you, just let it be. Your pet will definitely appreciate the respect and will love you even more!
- Chewing on plants could be caused by several things. First of all, a lot of cats do it when their tummy is upset or they just wanna eat something with a different texture. Other cats are simply curious or trying to get your attention.
- If your cat has suddenly started hanging out in its litter, it can be a sign of sickness. When accompanied with other red flags like loss of appetite, then this behavior definitely warrants a call to the vet.
- A lot of the time, begging becomes such a routine for cats that they start doing it even when they're not hungry. Another possible reason is your kitty's desire for attention and love.
- When you leave the room, they feel vulnerable to predators, so they decide to follow you. And believe it or not, a lot of the time the bathroom is the place where they feel the safest!
- If your cat always sits on your clothes whenever you leave them, you should be kinda flattered because this is how they mark you as a member of their pack!
15 Weird Cat Behaviors Explained
Posted on Last updated: March 2, 2021 By: Author Jane Pettitt
Just when you think you’ve seen it all, your cat surprises you by performing an impossible maneuver, or emitting a sound you would never have expected to hear from an earthly creature, or by contorting into a position even a double-jointed Yoga guru would struggle to repeat.
Sometimes you laugh, sometimes you can’t help but wonder what is going through its mind. This is what I love about cats the most.
What we call weird cat behavior can actually be closely associated with instinctual activities their ancestors would have used for survival. From Zoomies to kneading we show you why your cat’s quirky actions aren’t so weird after all.
Some people believe cats are cool, aloof creatures – people who haven’t lived with a cat that is. As owners, we know cats can be attention-seeking clowns and provide us with hours of entertainment.
Let’s take a look at 15 examples of common weird cat behavior.
25 Cat Behaviors That Seem Random, but Really Aren’t
It’s no secret that cats are stone-cold weirdos — that’s kinda why we love them so much. The only complaint we really have is that they’re always up to some strange, unexplainable hijinks that continue to baffle us. Yes, despite the fact that we share the same habitat as our beloved little pets, they remain somewhat of a mystery.
But if you think your cat’s crazy behavior is totally random, think again. There are actually some rational explanations behind the crazy stuff they do on a day-to-day basis. Check it out.
1. Nail biting
There are a few reasons that your kitty may bite their nails. One is that they are just giving themselves a little manicure. Two, she’s an anxious kitty with a bad habit. Just like humans bite their nails when nervous or bored, so does your cat, according to Cat World. As this habit may be hard to break, find the root of the problem to see if it is indeed a ball of nerves causing her to nibble at her nails.
Originally published June 2013. Updated October 2017.
Pushing Things Off of the Table
If you have a cat that simply loves to push things off of tables, you may not know what to do with your pet. However, although your cat has tons of toys, you keep finding things off of the counter and all over the place. Your cat may make you crazy. Your cay will push things off until it drops and will always have a different idea. That is because the cat loves to watch things bounce around, or also it may be that the cat loves to see things shattering in different directions.