We love our dogs and we want the best of everything for them. This heart-felt sentiment is the inspiration behind the Healthy Hound Grain-Free Dog Treat Recipe. Using garbanzo bean and coconut flour, these homemade treats are grain free. Add the benefits of coconut oil, flaxseed meal and turmeric (which is used to detoxify and treat stomach ailments), and you’ve got yourself a healthy treat to give to the pooch who rules your heart.
Makes about 30 cookies
1 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons brewer’s yeast
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
½ cup chicken broth
½ cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small pot over medium heat, bring the chicken broth and coconut oil to a boil.
- In a large bowl, mix flours, brewer’s yeast, flaxseed meal, turmeric, parsley and garlic powder.
- Add broth/oil mixture to flour and mix well.
- On a piece of parchment paper, roll the dough into a ¼ to ½ thickness and cut with cookie cutters in desired shapes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Take out of oven and let cool. Store in airtight containers in fridge or freezer.
Some pet parents don’t feel comfortable feeding garlic to their dogs, so feel free to leave it out. It won’t affect the recipe’s outcome in any way.
Amy Tokic, Editor of Our Site , is a passionate animal lover and proud pet parent of Oscar, a Shih Tzu/Chihuahua cross, and Zed, a Japanese Chin. Her love of animals began in kindergarten, when she brought her stuffed dog Snoopy into class with her every day. Now, she writes about her adventures in pet ownership and tirelessly researches products, news and health related issues she can share with other animal enthusiasts. In her free time, Amy loves perusing used book and record stores, obsessing over the latest pet products available and chasing squirrels with wild abandon (a habit attributed to spending too much time with her pooches).