+
Comments

Dog ate poison bait: what to do?


It is every dog ​​owner's nightmare: the dog ate poison bait. Theoretically, it can happen on every walk that your four-legged friend eats such a bait designed by dog-haters. If this emergency has actually occurred, it is important that you behave correctly and, above all, act quickly.

First things first: If your dog shows the poisoning symptoms described below, you should take him to the vet as soon as possible. Every second counts, because the baits can quickly do great damage, depending on the type of poison.

Dog has eaten poison bait: possible symptoms

Every poison works differently. In addition, a dog may react differently to one poison than another. Differences in race, body weight and other factors determine the symptoms of poisoning. If your dog has eaten poison bait, you may experience fatigue, vomiting, increased salivation, restlessness and sudden convulsions or tremors. The respiratory tract can also be affected, which usually manifests itself in shortness of breath or cough. More serious symptoms may include loss of consciousness, bruising, bloody mucous membranes or discolored, bloody feces or urine, and diarrhea.

Anti-poison bait training: protect the dog from poison baits

They are the nightmare of all dog lovers: poison baits that hide dog haters on the roadside. At the…

In case of poisoning, go to the veterinarian immediately

If you know that your dog has eaten poison bait, you should go to the veterinarian immediately. Important: If possible, take the remains of the poison bait with you to the veterinary practice so that the doctor can analyze the poison in the laboratory and then start the right therapy more quickly.

Keep away from self-treatment on site. For example, you shouldn't make your fur nose vomit - this is an initial measure that the veterinarian may take later, but it can be dangerous if you act too hastily yourself. Especially if it is not a poison bait, but a bait with sharp metal parts such as razor blades, vomiting can do great damage. Tip for transport: keep your four-legged friend warm and ensure a soft surface.

You may also be interested in these topics related to dog health:

Snail grain poisoning in dogs: symptoms

This is how a dog must be treated with blood poisoning

Caution toxic! Food that dogs should not eat

0 comments Login to comment